CONFIGURING YOUR FIRST TEST PROJECT
A test project is a self-contained collection of ports, subnets, traffic profiles, etc. in a directory commonly found in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Xena\VulcanManager.
1. Open VulcanManager and choose the Client <-> Server Topology template from Featured quick start templates. This template offers an end-to-end testing where the test platform acts as both client and server. Once opened, notice the three application tabs in the menu; Edit, Run Test and Reporting. These are the three contexts for setting up a test, executing it, observing real time statistics, at last, analyzing the collected statistics, and generating reports.
2. Press Add Chassis button located in the Edit tab. Enter the IP address of the chassis, use the default port number and password for the chassis. Upon arrival, the chassis will be preconfigured with: IP address 192.168.1.210, port 22606 and password “xena”. If you are using Xena’s Live Demo system, the IP address is 184.108.40.206 and the password is “xena”.
3. After the chassis is added, right click a port to quickly
reserve it. If your username appears next to the port, it
means the port is yours to use. Do it to another port
because you need at least two ports to create Notice
that, anywhere in the application, when you see the
port icon, you can right-click to get the context menu for port operations.
4. If you only want to see the ports that you use, you can check the checkboxes Used beside those ports and then click the Show Only Used Ports checkbox on top of the Chassis Explorer.
CONFIGURING TEST CASE
In the Edit context, you will see two buttons in the Explores group. Use these buttons to switch between Chassis Explorer and Test Explorer.
- Press Test to switch to test setup. In the Test Explorer, you will see the Test Project tree and with a test case selected, you can see the list view of traffic scenarios and their subnet, port association.
- Press Add Scenario and choose Raw from the Stateful Loading branch in the Scenario Selector dialog. Select subnets and ports for the client and server part of the traffic scenario.
- You have successfully created a test scenario of RAW type with default settings. Assign a port you have reserved to Client Port and Server Port, respectively.
RUN TEST CASE
The Run Test tab is a dashboard with a summary of realtime statistics.
- Press the Run button in the top menu. It turns Stop when the test is started.
- Click the test case icon in the Realtime Statistics Explorer to see a summary of realtime statistics.The realtime statistics are grouped into three columns. Layer 5-7 client statistics from the clientside are on the left. Layer 4 statistics are in the middle. Layer 1-3 client statistics are on the right.
- See the progress bar of Concurrent Users (user) and Layer 5-7 Throughput (bps) above thestatistics table.
- When the test is finished, the Stop button turns Reset.
- To see all statistics, go to the Reporting tab.
During the test run, counters are sampled and stored. In Statistics Explorer, statistics are grouped into Client and Server.
- Expand Client and Server to check port related and scenario related statistics.
- Select statistics to see them in the chart.
- Click the checkbox next to a statistic to Include Chart in Report.
- Click Create PDF to generate a test report.
- Click Save Statistics DB to save all statistics into SQLite database storage file.